American Red Cross – Cascades Region – 07/15/22 9:47 AM
Easily Find Red Cross Shelters During Disaster with Free Emergency App
Portland, Ore (July 14, 2022) — This week marks the official start to wildfire season in Oregon as parts of Washington State issue red flag warnings. Now, is the time to prepare your home and family for disasters of all kinds.
PREPARE YOUR FAMILY NOW With the increasing risk of climate disasters, like wildfires, it’s more important than ever to follow the three simple steps below to help keep your family safe. Download the free Red Cross Emergency app for more safety information, including real-time weather alerts and disaster shelter locations, by searching “American Red Cross” in your app store or visiting redcross.org/apps.
- Build an emergency kit with bottled water, non-perishable food, a flashlight and battery-powered radio. Also include medications, copies of important papers, cell phone chargers and emergency contact information.
- Make an evacuation plan with what to do in case you are separated from your family during an emergency and if you have to evacuate. Make sure to coordinate with your child’s school, your work and your community’s emergency plans — and don’t forget your pets.
- Know how to stay informed by finding out how local officials will contact you during a disaster and how you will get important information, such as evacuation orders.
RED CROSS NEEDS VOLUNTEERS FOR WILDFIRE DISASTER RESPONSE When disaster forces people from their homes, the Red Cross is there to help provide safe shelter, food, and comfort.
“Volunteers are at the heart of our mission, representing 90% of our workforce and responding on a near-constant basis to disasters across the country,” said Rebecca Marshall, Disaster Services Executive, Red Cross Cascades Region. “As we continue to see more climate-driven disasters, we need more volunteers to grow our capacity to respond and help ensure families never face these emergencies alone.”
Visit redcross.org/volunteertoday to help provide relief and hope to people affected by disasters. Our most-needed positions include:
- Shelter support: Help at a shelter during a large disaster by welcoming and registering residents, serving meals, setting up cots, distributing blankets and personal hygiene kits, and providing information and other assistance to people in need.
- Health services: Use your professional skills as a licensed health care provider to deliver hands-on support, including care and education to people staying at a shelter during a large disaster. Qualified licenses include RN, LPN, LVN, EMT, Paramedic, MD, DO, PA, NP and APRN.
- Disaster Action Team: Join your local Disaster Action Team to help families affected by home fires and other disasters by providing support, such as food, lodging, comfort and recovery assistance.
About the American Red Cross:
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides comfort to victims of disasters; supplies about 40% of the nation’s blood; teaches skills that save lives; distributes international humanitarian aid; and supports veterans, military members and their families. The Red Cross is a nonprofit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to deliver its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org or CruzRojaAmericana.org, or visit us on Twitter at @RedCross.
# # #