Salem, Ore. — The National Weather Service continues to predict winter weather conditions impacting the Salem area. Beginning at 6 p.m. temperatures are expected to drop below freezing with overnight temperatures below 20 degrees.
Due to the impacts of this weather pattern, Salem Public Library’s main branch, West Salem Branch, and Center 50+ will be closing at 5:00 p.m. Thursday, February 23. For information on Friday’s schedule of activities at these locations, please call 503-588-6315(Library) or 503-588-6303(Center 50+) before arriving. Many activities may be rescheduled due to weather.
Warming Shelters will be open Thursday evening beginning at 7 p.m. at First Presbyterian Church, 770 Chemeketa St NE. If outside, remember to stay warm by:
- Dressing in layers and keeping your head, hands, feet, and ears warm.
- Don’t stay outdoors for long periods.
- Move slowly to prevent slips and falls.
- Seek medical help if someone is experiencing frostbite or hypothermia.
- Be aware of outdoor hazards such as ice.
Those considering travel this evening and during the morning commute on Friday should expect icy conditions around the City. The City of Salem Public Works Street Crews will continue to monitor road conditions and deploy snowplows, sanders, and deicers to major roadways within the City. Residential streets and sidewalks that still have snow will begin to freeze. Exercise extreme caution while walking or driving on these streets until temperatures rise above freezing over the weekend.
Be sure to check current road conditions by going to CityofSalem.net for up-to-date street and weather conditions, including:
- City of Salem Current Road Conditions
- National Weather Service Forecasts
- City of Salem Traffic Cameras
- ODOT’s Tripcheck
- and Snow Route information