News Release from City of Salem
Posted: August 28th, 2023 2:30 PM
- Testing of school zone flashing beacons begins Aug. 31
- Speed is 20 miles per hour when beacons flash
- School buses will also be driving their routes
Salem, Ore. – On August 31, the City of Salem will begin testing all school zone flashing beacons within the Salem-Keizer School District. Remember that the speed limit in all school zones is 20 miles per hour and is in effect whenever the flashing yellow lights are active.
School buses operated by Public School Transportation Services will also be driving their normal routes and times without student passengers. Drivers should expect to see school zone flashing beacons and buses operating during the early morning and afternoon hours when school typically starts and ends during the school year.
Help keep our kids safe by recognizing the 5 School Zone Safety Tips:
- Reduce your speed when traveling through school zones.
- Expect increased traffic in and around school zones.
- Be aware of pedestrians around crosswalks in school zones.
- Be on the lookout for buses.
- Obey crossing guards, police, and teachers.
Plan to keep everyone safe by leaving for work a few minutes early and obeying the 20 miles per hour speed limit.