City of Salem – 09/19/23 9:00 AM
- Navy Band Northwest and its ensembles will perform throughout Salem and Keizer the week of September 25-29.
- Volunteer with the Navy to help clean up the Willamette River and Northgate Park.
Salem, Ore. — On Monday, September 25, dozens of Navy personnel will sail into Salem with one goal: to make the community a better and more entertaining place. They will be here for Navy Week through Friday, September 29.
Navy Week is an effort to reach out to areas of the nation without a significant Navy presence. The program is designed to share with Americans how their Navy is deployed around the world and around the clock, and why a strong Navy is vital to protecting the American way of life.
Their focus in Salem is on community service and music. Most events are free. Here’s a look at how you can be involved in their activities throughout the week:
- Monday, September 25, 8 a.m.-noon, Northgate Park Cleanup, 3575 Fairhaven Avenue NE. Sailors will be working to improve pollinator garden, clean up the fence line between the park and Community Garden, and help with bark mulch, weeding and improving visibility. Sign up to volunteer by contacting Amanda Sitter, firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-589-2917.
- Monday, September 25, 3:30-7 p.m., Navy Day at the Salvation Army Kroc Center. Navy personnel will be giving demonstrations and playing games with kids.
- Tuesday, September 26, 9:30-10 a.m., Salem Welcomes the Navy – Brass Quintet performance and a proclamation ceremony between Salem Mayor Chris Hoy and Navy Rear Admiral Charles “Mike” Brown, Peace Plaza, Salem Civic Center, 555 Liberty Way SE.
- Tuesday, September 25, 6 p.m., Navy Band Northwest Brass Quintet, Salem Public Library
- Wednesday, September 27, Willamette River Clean-up, All Hands on Deck, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Salem Parks and the Clean Streams Initiative host U.S. Navy Sailors. You can sign up to volunteer on water or volunteer on land. Pre-registration is required.
- Wednesday, September 27, 6-8 p.m., Keizer Community Night with a softball game between Sailors and Keizer high school students, police and fire personnel with a performance by the Navy Band Northwest following the game, 6700 Field of Dreams Way NE
- Thursday, September 28, 6-8 p.m., Navy Band Northwest performance at Willamette Heritage Center, 1313 Mill Street SE.
- Friday, September 29, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Woodwind Quintet performance and Ceremonial Guard Drill Team performance for veterans and residents, Center 50+, 2615 Portland Road NE.
- Friday, September 29, 6-8 p.m., Northwest Navy Band performance at Gerry Frank Amphitheater, Riverfront Park, 200 Water Street NE
Navy personnel will also be visiting and helping at other locations around Salem including CTEC School, Salem Rotary, West Salem Rotary, Habitat for Humanity ReStore, Houck Middle School, Marion Polk Food Share, Boys and Girls Club of Salem, McNary High School, Willamette Heritage Center,
Since 2005, the Navy Week program has offered more than 250 Navy Weeks in 80 different U.S. cities.