SALEM, Oregon – Oregon Main Street, which is part of Oregon Heritage, Oregon Parks and Recreation Department, announced its 2023 “Excellence on Main” award winners during the annual Main Street conference on October 4th in Independence. Created in 2010, the annual Excellence on Main awards honor outstanding accomplishments, activities, and people making a difference in historic downtowns and traditional commercial neighborhoods across the state. A total of nine projects, activities and people were recognized with an Excellence on Main Award and four certificates were given in recognition of volunteer service. Videos of the award winners can be found at the links below.
The nine individuals, projects, activities, and businesses honored are:
- Business of the Year: Sybaris Bistro, Albany
- Bricks and Mortar Award: The Woodburn Museum and Bungalow Theater, Woodburn
- Resiliency Award: Buoy Beer, Astoria
- Leadership on Main Award: Stephanie Gutierrez, Albany
- Economic Vitality: Mr. Ed’s, Port Orford
- Open Door Award: Kit’s Apothecary, Astoria
- Outstanding Promotion: Boba Dash, Beaverton
- Outstanding Special Project: Reedsport Main Street Open House, Reedsport
- Main Street Executive Director of the Year: Harv Schubothe, Bandon
In addition, four individuals were acknowledged with a Standout Volunteers recognition certificate for their above and beyond contributions to their communities. These individuals are:
- Tommy Wood, Downtown Estacada Commission
- Josh Johnson, Beaverton Downtown Association
- Richard Barney, Medford Downtown Association
- Nicole Felty, La Grande Main Street Downtown
The wide range of Oregon Main Street’s Excellence on Main awards is reflective of the comprehensive Main Street Approach™ to downtown revitalization developed by the National Main Street Center. This model is used by the communities participating in the three-tier Main Street Track of Oregon Main Street Network.
“We are thrilled to announce the exceptional achievements celebrated through our 2023 ‘Excellence on Main’ awards,” stated Sheri Stuart, State Coordinator, Oregon Main Street. “These honorees, ranging from businesses to outstanding projects, reflect our commitment to revitalizing historic downtowns and nurturing vibrant communities across the state.”
Oregon Main Street strengthens community networks, bolsters local economies, generates tax revenues, and fosters social connections across the state. OMS leads a network of local Main Streets that oversee a wide range of programmatic efforts to build community, support local businesses, and create an attractive and vibrant environment for workers, visitors, and residents. The Oregon Main Street network generates significant value for local communities and for the State of Oregon overall. Learn more about the impact of the Oregon Main Street program by visiting www.oregonmainstreet.org.