Salem, Ore. — The City of Salem is reminding residents and business owners to dispose of leaves responsibly. Raking or blowing leaves into the street is prohibited by SRC 76.015.
Blowing and dumping of leaves into the street can block drains and cause local street flooding dangerous for drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists. Backed up water can also damage homes and businesses. Proper leaf disposal requires picking up all the leaves that fall on your property to prevent them from clogging storm drains.
- Use your yard waste or compost bin or compost your leaves and grass clippings for free at the annual Fall Leaf Haul.
- Avoid piling yard waste like fallen leaves and sticks near storm drains, where it could blow or wash into them.
- Use a rake or broom to remove leaves and debris from the tops of storm drains and place the material in your yard waste cart.
- Be proactive. Keep drains in your neighborhood clear and report problems to Public Works Dispatch, 503-588-6311.
- It is against the law to dump or allow any material to enter the drainage system, as it leads to blockages. You can report illegal dumping online.
To dispose of leaves properly, use the yard waste debris bin, compost them at home, or take them to the annual Fall Leaf Haul. Residents can drop off their leaves, grass clippings, and tree limbs for free.
Fall Leaf Haul
December 9, 2023
9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Brown’s Island Demolition Landfill
2895 Faragate St. S
Salem, OR 97302
If you see issues with a storm drain or need to report flooding, contact Public Works Dispatch, at 503-588-6311 or email@example.com.