City of Salem – 01/11/24 1:00 PM
- Friday evening temperatures will drop below freezing and on Saturday snow, freezing rain, and below-freezing temperatures are likely.
- Roads may be significantly impacted by freezing conditions.
- Be ready and anticipate power outages that may occur throughout the City.
Salem, Ore. — Weather forecasts are showing Salem and the Mid-Willamette Valley could receive snow or freezing rain beginning late Friday, January 12, 2024, to Saturday evening, January 13. Predictions call for snow and ice conditions throughout the City on Saturday morning.
In anticipation of this weather event, snow and ice response staff from Public Works will begin putting staff on standby Friday afternoon. In addition, City de-icers, snowplows, and sanding equipment have been tested and are ready for use. Information on the priority and secondary snow routes in Salem can be found on the City’s website on the Current Road Conditions Map.
We thank Salem residents for their patience and ask that everyone be extra cautious and avoid driving, if possible, under these winter weather conditions. The City and National Weather Service offer the following safe winter driving tips:
- Reduce your speed and leave extra distance between vehicles
- Use extra caution on sharp curves and expect longer stopping distances
- Give snowplows plenty of room and only pass if necessary
- Make sure your vehicle is clear of snow and ice before driving
- Carry a shovel and sand or kitty litter for emergency traction assistance
- Keep an emergency supply kit in your vehicle that includes a blanket, some food, and water
Additional information on current road conditions in the city can be found on the City of Salem website at: www.cityofsalem.net. Please report roadway concerns to the 24-hour Public Works Dispatch Center at 503-588-6311.