Salem, Ore.– The National Weather Service has issued a High Wind Advisory for the central Willamette Valley beginning at 4 p.m. on Mon., Dec. 17, 2018 until 12 p.m. on Tue., Dec. 18, 2018. A Flood Watch for the central Willamette Valley has also been forecasted for 4 a.m. Tue., Dec.18, 2018 through 4 p.m. Wed., Dec. 19, 2018. The forecast predicts between 1 to 3 inches of rain during the 36-hour Flood Watch, which could result in local stream and street flooding. In preparation for this event, the City is opening sandbag locations for the public to pick up sandbags for their property. The current sandbag locations are:
* City of Salem shops (1410 20th Street, Salem)
* West Salem Park and Ride (located at Brush College Road NW and Wallace Road NW, Salem)
* Lowes (1930 Turner Rd. SE, Salem)
* South Salem Courthouse Fitness Center (6250 Commercial St. SE, Salem)
For the most up-to-date information on sandbag locations, go to www.cityofsalem.net/Pages/get-sandbags.aspx.
We ask the public to be cautious during these local flood and high wind events.
* While driving, observe and obey road closure signs, barriers, and/or indicators. Do not assume your vehicle can get through high water.
* Stay away from creeks, rivers, and other bodies of water. Water levels can change rapidly and water currents run swiftly. Flood water is dangerous for both pedestrians and vehicles.
* Stay away from downed power lines and report them to 911 immediately.
* Report trees blocking roadways to Public Works Dispatch Center at 503-588-6311.
Residents can monitor local stream levels at https://hww.onerain.com/home.php. Contact the City of Salem’s Public Works Dispatch Center to report flooding and wind-related issues 24-hours-a-day at 503-588-6311.