The City of Salem Fire Department wants Salem residents to have a fun and enjoyable Independence Day celebration by ensuring safe practices and legal use of consumer fireworks. They remind everyone to protect their family and property from fires and injuries by practicing the “Four BEs” of fireworks safety:
- Be Prepared Before Lighting Fireworks
- Use only legal fireworks available at licensed fireworks sales locations.
- Store fireworks out of children’s reach.
- Always read and follow the directions on the firework’s label.
- Place pets indoors; they are easily frightened by fireworks.
- Always have water handy (a garden hose or a bucket of water).
- Be Safe When Lighting Fireworks
- Only adults should light fireworks.
- Keep matches and lighters away from children.
- Only use fireworks outdoors and away from combustibles.
- Light one firework at a time and move away quickly.
- Keep children and pets away from fireworks.
- Do not throw fireworks or hold them in your hand.
- Be Responsible After Lighting Fireworks
- Soak used fireworks thoroughly in a bucket of water.
- Dispose of used fireworks and debris properly.
- Never re-light a “dud” firework. (Wait at least 15–20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.)
- Be Aware of Laws Governing Fireworks
- Use only legal fireworks.
- Use fireworks only where it is legal to do so.
- Fireworks are prohibited in City and State Parks.
Each year, the Salem Fire Department responds to many fireworks-related incidents. Some incidents cause significant damaged to vehicles and buildings. Of special concern are fireworks-related injuries. Young ones are most at risk. National statistics indicate children and teenagers are two-and-a-half times more likely than others to suffer a fireworks-related injury.
Fireworks are approved for sale in Oregon each year from June 23 through July 6. State-legal fireworks can be purchased from licensed retailers in Salem during this time period. Residents can also enjoy watching the large professional fireworks display at Riverfront Park on July 4.