News Release from Oregon State Police
December 30th, 2020 7:17 PM
Downloadable file: Salem_Police_Community_Message_-_January_1_Protests.pdf
The Oregon State Police is aware of several protests that are planned in the Salem area on Friday, January 1, 2021.
The protests are planned to happen at the Oregon State Capitol, Bush Pasture Park, and Mahonia Hall. These protests could also affect streets in the areas of these locations.
OSP encourages people to exercise their first amendment right, but please do so lawfully, peacefully, and respectfully.
OSP and Salem Police Department will have personnel assigned to monitor these protests. If criminal behavior is observed and the situation allows you will be cited or arrested. If an arrest or citation is not able to be immediately made, police will be investigating criminal behavior. If you feel you are the victim of a crime please ensure that you report that to the police.
OSP has set the following operational goals:
- Ensure a safe, non-violent environment for rally participants.
- Ensure a safe, non-violent environment for citizens of Salem and for those passing through the area.
- Minimize traffic flow issues and disruptions.
- Deter or prevent criminal acts and take enforcement action as necessary.
- Protection of property from damage and unauthorized access.
Salem Police Department’s Community Message is attached.